Sunday 26 August 2018

A whole new world by Liz Braswell - BOOK REVIEW



Star rating: 4/5 stars

As an avid bookworm and Disney lover, I was excited and slightly disappointed in myself that I hadn't heard of the Disney twisted tales series. So when I found 'A whole new world' on the shelves whilst doing my local supermarket shop I had to treat myself, knowing that I had a holiday coming up where I might actually get a chance to read something not on my degree book list.

I was slightly apprehensive at the thought of someone retelling my favourite stories but didn't want to miss out. I was not disappointed! Although the story begins with the same beginning as the film it soon branches off to its 'twisted' tale. The story follows Aladdin and what happens when he enters the tiger cave to retrieve the lamp for Jafar. In the film Aladdin keeps the lamp and the genie for himself whereas (SPOILER ALERT) in the book, Jafar gets the lamp for himself and Aladdin is left in the tiger cave after the entrance has closed. The story itself is great for any big Disney fan as it gives you an insight into Aladdin and Jasmine's home life and history. You find out more about the street rats that Aladdin grows up with and why they're in the situation they are in.

Overall the book is exciting and fast-paced. With something for action lovers as well as romance lovers. With lots of nods to the original, the genie will remind you fondly of Robin Williams. If you're a true Disney fan you'll probably have seen Aladdin 2: Return of Jafar, this has a lot of similarities, but this is for a more mature audience with a lot of relatable moments to today's politics! 

Highly recommend for any fan of fairy tales and magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment