Tuesday 28 August 2018

The Gilded King by Josie Jaffrey - BOOK REVIEW


Star rating: 5/5 stars

Despite having a massive TBR pile and an equally massive TBR pile for my degree, nothing was taking my fancy so when I was scrolling through twitter looking for inspiration and I saw a post from the lovely Josie Jaffrey looking for book reviewers to review her latest book 'The Gilded King.' Thinking I had nothing to lose and being drawn in by the gorgeous cover I contacted Jodie who generously sent out a review copy. 

As soon as the book arrived I just knew I was going to love it, the blurb (in the last city on earth, death is just a step into the trees) got me right away and I couldn't wait to get stuck right in. Let me tell you it didn't disappoint and from the first chapter I couldn't put it down. The story follows Julia's life in (unknowingly to her) sheltered 'blue' and Cameron's journey into the 'red.' The story is the most delicious mix of dystopian literature with fairytale and folklore that kept me gripped and guessing what was coming next. 

One of the most surprising things about this book was that it made me realise how traditional mainstream YA can be. I read a lot (I mean a lot) and this is the first book I've read with a gay character who has a key role in the storyline with a romantic interest. It saddened me that I was actually surprised when this character turned out to be gay. Maybe if more literature didn't marginalise LGBQT characters it would become less of a surprise and more common place.

If you like adventure, fairy tales and romance I highly recommend you get this book! Josie I can't wait to find out what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment